Bethany held our first worship service in January, 1950, in the auditorium of Pershing Junior High School; there were a total of thirteen adults and six children in attendance. The Rev. William M. Harris was appointed as Bethany’s first full-time pastor. Members gathered at our present location and together handmade the blocks with "The Bethany Cross". We moved into our current location on October 5, 1952.
Bethany has experienced many changes in membership, leadership, and direction; however, what was true then, is true today. "To the glory of God" continues to be the theme of our buildings, sanctuary, and is our goal for all things and seasons.
Our mission continues to be in worship, music, Christian education, and outreach to the young, the elderly, and the community around us.
Our activities include Sunday School for all ages, the Men's Prayer Breakfast, United Methodist Women, United Methodist Youth Fellowship, small group Bible studies, Prayer Partners, Scouting, Braes Interfaith Ministries, exercise groups, and LEOH-Life Enrichment of Houston, which is an ecumenical outreach program that attracts hundreds of seniors.
Since 1953, Bethany's Weekday School has served preschoolers in the community.
In worship and in service, we are a new generation at Bethany, sharing the Good News of Christ with the world.